Sugar Camp Wisconsin Community Website
Welcome to the SugarCampWI.Com website. It is designed to provide online information to visitors on our family oriented community of almost 2000 residents, and a site to find the latest information on local events and activities; resources on town services, recreational opportunities, town board, links to civic groups, our church and schools. With strong roots in a proud past Sugar Camp is the result of over one hundred years of intriguing history, a premier community for families, businesses and a destination for outdoors enthusiasts. We encourage you to bookmark this website, it will provide you with helpful and useful information for Sugar Camp Wisconsin.
Sugar Camp, Wisconsin is located 13 miles North of Rhinelander and 8 miles South of Eagle River on Highway 17, right in the heart of the Northwoods Country
About Robbins and Sugar Camp
Flambeau Indians (about 150) lived in the area when the first settlers came in the 1890's and their camp was located by the lakes now known as Sugar Camp and Indian Lakes. Here the Indians were able to hunt, fish and harvest wild rice. Surrounded by large growths of sugar maple trees they gathered sap and made maple sugar and syrup. In time settlers in the area came to purchase the maple sugar and syrup and called the settlement "the Sugar Camp" and the town of Robbins was later changed to that name.
In the 1880"s the French explored the region and the first white man here was Fred Tripp who purchased 180 acres of water reserve land on the south shore of Tripp Lake ( Sugar Camp Lake). Being impressed with the possibilities of the area being summer resort country he set about building the Maple Grove Resort. Until 1907 Tripp ran the resort and a general store and post office, and then sold the resort to Knapp and Jones. During this time the Robbins narrow gauge railroad was built for the booming logging industry and extended past the Maple Grove Resort and the post office and growing community was named after the owner of the railroad, Frank Robbins.
The first settlement was made by the Polish who bought land from the Brown Brothers Lumber Co. and made their living logging and farming. Many of the current residents of the Town of Sugar Camp can trace their histories to those original settlers who arrived here in the late1800's and early 1900's. Due to the Polish population a Catholic congregation was established on Aug. 10, 1893 and the Brown Brothers erected the original building. The first church was known as Ste. Cunegunda's but the spelling was changed to St. Kunegunda at a later date. The current church building sits on the site of the original church and was built in 1975.
In 1899, after a false start, Sugar Camp became a Township of its own and was removed from the Township of Pelican. Tripp was the first town chairman, donated land for the first school, was postmaster and continued to promote the town in many ways until his death in 1918.
Sugar Camp continues to be a progressive community. The current town hall was constructed in 1975 on land that was donated by Frito-Lay. The town property boasts of three ball diamonds, soccer fields, a banked antique snowmobile track, a fully equipped play ground, lighted tennis and basketball courts, and an 18 hole disc golf course. Fire protection is provided by a well equipped volunteer fire department and Medic 11 provides ambulance /medical service through the volunteer EMT program. Sugar Camp's Elementary School is located near the town hall and is consolidated with the Three Lakes School District.
The many businesses in Sugar Camp include restaurants/bars, resorts and other services from construction, plumbing, heating, electrical and earth moving to road surfacing, logging, trucking and farm production.
Courtesy of Otto & Mary Schoeneck of Sugar Camp
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin,1924
Rhinelander Daily News, date unknown